St Luke's Church, Liverpool

HL Structural Engineers worked with Liverpool City Council, English Heritage and conservation architect, Donald Insall Associates to implement a programme of restorative  consolidation and repair of the structure at this prominent Liverpool Landmark.

 

St Luke’s is one of the city’s finest churches, built in a distinguished Gothic Revival design by the City Corporation.  It is the work of the father and son John Fosters, both corporation surgeons. The Church was completed in 1831, but sits now as a poignant reminder of the Second World War as it was burnt out during an air raid in 1941. 

 

The works included the replacement of a roof to the bell tower where water ingress has caused deterioration of a cast iron bell frame below, repairs to tracery windows and also installation of a new timber roof to the tower. Works have been designed in accordance with best practice conservation principles of minimum intervention wherever possible.

 

Following the successful completion of the project, St Luke’s Church was removed from Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register.